This is a list of the 30 things that I am happy about and thankful for in my life as it is right now- on this birthday.
1. I understand that I spent my 20’s figuring out and sort of setting up the kind of life I wanted to have. I’m thankful for all of those experiences, everything I learned, and how hard I worked during those 10 years and in a way, I am very thankful to leave that time behind and move into my 30's with the knowledge I've gained.
At Thirty Years Old...
4. Along with my dad, we've had just about everyone from our immediate family visit Minneapolis already this year. Even with all the crazy prep for guests, I always love every second I get with our family, especially on our (new) home turf.
8. Thirty feels like a kick-in-the-pants sort of, and I mean that in a good way, for me at least. I've had this feeling about it that "well, no more excuses, you aren't in your 20's, time to REALLY get moving on all the things you've wanted to accomplish in life before you are too old to enjoy it." I realize that some of you will think this statement sounds nuts since yes, I've got plenty of life left and I'm only at 30, but I hope you understand what I mean. It's a different feeling than when you turn 20, 20 doesn't really kick-you-in-the-pants.
9. As you get older, it's easier to laugh at yourself and heck, you get more comfortable being a weirdo in public... especially if it makes a friend laugh
|How I entertain myself when I can't find any cute shoes.|
11. I worked through the most challenging year in my career. I learned a lot and also realized that in good times and tough times, one of my greatest strengths is to never give up- No matter the stress or struggle, I'm the kinda gal that wants to see things through to the end.
12. I learned that #11 means I have "Grit"- a trait showing "passion for a particular long term goal or end state coupled with a powerful motivation to achieve their respective objective." Never knew that before, but damn right I do.
13. Rocco and Sadie. Sure, they drive me crazy and are often a source of guilt when Alex and I are crazy busy, but I love these two pups so incredibly much. They are my family and I can't imagine life without them.
14. My latest business trip marks my 6th visit to China. Funny to look back at my 27 birthday list to see that was when the first one happened. Always thankful for the experience travelling abroad for work and hope I continue to get these opportunities.
15. During my Michigan Spring Break visit earlier this year, I saw my (ex/old?) step-sister for the first time in over five years (our parents divorced, ex/old might have sounded confusing, you get it right?). The 1 year old little girl I met 18 or so years ago is a beautiful young lady that is beginning her sophomore year in college. It was amazing to see her and I hope to see her again and again.
18. Now that I am four years into doing this birthday list tradition, I think it's the first time I'm seeing how fun it can be to look back at what I was thankful for at each age. Sure, twenty-seven wasn't that long ago but looking back today I think some of what I said then was kind of silly :) I suppose that will keep happening year after year, but it shows you've learned more and you keep evolving. I'm thankful that I'll keep seeing that. (click the links if you are interested in reading previous birthday lists- Twenty-Seven, Twenty-Eight, or Twenty-Nine).
19. My husband lived one of his dreams and got to see the Tour de France grand finale in Paris. It is an amazing feeling when you get to see someone you love experience something they've always dreamed of doing.
23. I have mastered the art of making the perfect dirty martini.
24. Thanks to a gal named Marjorie finding Hammers and High Heels, we have a fun project that’s been in the works for a while now and we hope it will come to fruition during my 30th year.
26. Alex and I moved away from Michigan and all of our family 7 years ago. For the first time in 7 years, we now have family in Minneapolis. My cousin Kerry and her husband Nick just moved here from California and it's been refreshingly wonderful to remember what it is like when you could just call/text family to randomly hang out. I hope the Minnesota winter doesn't scare them away!
27. Kerry and Nick have two dogs- Walter and Uno. Needless to say, Rocco and Sadie are also excited about their cousins moving to Minneapolis too! The pup-playdates are pretty b-a-n-a-n-a-s.
28. I spent my big 3-0 with my husband in NYC. A big scary birthday couldn't have felt more perfect and special. Thankful my husband made that day so special for me.
29. With #28, I still love blogging but I've allowed myself to enjoy being in the moment more and not pressuring myself to keep up with blogging when I real life fun is happening. Hence posting this more than a week after my actual birthday :)